Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Remington 7615 First Shots

I took my new rifle out for a test run the other day.

I picked up a Remington 7615 last week but wasn't able to try it out until the weekend.

As a part of the package it was fitted with a 1x red dot scope, which I didn't think would be very useful to me, so on Saturday I went into the gun shop and picked up a Redfield 3-9 x 50 scope and some mounts. Redfield seem to be a good quality, value for money, American made scope. Redfield have been around for many, many years and were recently purchased by Leupold, another American scope manufacturer.

So I took it home and put it aside while cranking out a few rounds on the Dillon 650 press. Later that afternoon while mounting the scope to the rifle, I realised that the salesman had given me 30mm mounts instead of 1" mounts. Doh! Being a Saturday afternoon, the shop was closed.

Monday morning rolled around and I returned to the shop and exchanged the mounts. I mounted that scope and called a mate who has a farm about 100km from town. I headed out there mid afternoon to sight in the scope and test out some of my hand loads I had been preparing. The weather was perfect. Overcast, mostly calm with a slight Southerly breeze occasionally.

When I arrived the farm owner was burning off stubble and the air was filled with lazy, grey smoke. After a chat we organised where I would be shooting. I headed off and set up a few targets at 100 and 200 yards.

Being a pump action, bore sighting isn't possible and the day was too bright to use a laser boresighter. However, by looking down the side of the barrel and comparing to the scope I soon realised I was going to run out of elevation adjustment. Looking more closely at the rail mount I could see that it wasn't quite level. The rear of the rail needed to be spaced or a tapered rail should have been fitted. Not wanting to give up without a fight, I removed the scope from the mounts and used some black insulation tape to created a spacer between the lower mount and the scope tube. Not ideal, but it worked. I was then able to zero the scope at 200 yards.

Here's a video I put together of the session in which I almost destroyed my camera. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment